Monday, November 30, 2009

Who are you & what have you done to my Obama?


Dear President Obama,


Afghanistan is just about the most remote, difficult to access part of the world there is. Which is why it costs $400 to get ONE GALLON of gas there, and almost $1 million a year for EVERY SOLDIER we send there.


Of all the reasons not to send more troops, and there are a lot, the cost of the war is one of the most important.


That's why I urge you to stop sending more troops to Afghanistan, and instead develop a clear plan for bringing everyone home as quickly as possible.


I voted for you, but as Keith Olbermann said on his "Special Commentary" about the Afghan War tonight (11/30/09), "Mr. President, my patience ebbs"...


This is YOUR MOMENT, PLEASE don't cave in out of fear. DO THE RIGHT THING, and the right thing CANNOT BE ESCALATION.


If you escalate this war, then surely, in history's eyes, you have more than merely inherited it, it becomes YOUR WAR to win, and there is NO WAY TO WIN this war.


It will be your Vietnam, and your entire Presidency will be forever mired by it.


I have been biting my tongue, being patient, believing that as things shook down after the financial crisis, you would start being that charismatic figure that you were on the campaign trail.


I hoped that every decision you made would be a good one, a righteous one, a fair and honest one…but you are not the President I thought you'd be.


I sat silent as I saw you keep bellicose Republicans in office, and appoint other Republicans to high positions. I kept quiet, when you did not bring any troops home from Iraq, or while you dodged speaking about and defending Gay Rights, while you appointed known liars and cheaters to your Cabinet and other high positions on your staff. I waited for the REAL OBAMA to emerge, so I did nothing when you did not close Guantanamo, or when you decided against trying Bush and his cronies for their heinous war crimes that have been responsible for 100s of thousands of deaths. And I have done nothing while witnessing many other disappointing acts that make me wonder if I have not been duped by you.


It saddens me to witness you being less than what we had all hoped you'd be. The entire population of the world is holding its breath, hoping you will be different, hoping you will choose diplomacy over aggression, and NOT ESCALATE BUT INSTEAD END OUR INVOLVEMENT IN THIS WAR. JUST GET OUT. Full Stop.


I'm sure, in your heart, you know that escalation CAN'T BE RIGHT.


Please, get a grip, come to your senses, be MAGNIFICENT, DON'T BE a COWARD.


That is the only thing I can figure, they've scared you into acting against your own best interests, as well as your base. That must be it...ah, well, politics as usual.


I guess it was too much to HOPE for…a President doing the right thing.


Is saddens me to say this, President Obama, but I fear you've gone wrong.


Sincerely,



TARA THRALLS


This started out as a Form Letter you can sign on TrueMajority's web site, but I got a bit carried away, and decided to post it here as well...






No comments:

Post a Comment