Friday, November 6, 2009

JOY BEHAR - new Pundit in town…


JOY BEHAR - new Pundit in town…


I love Joy Behar. She's the reason I returned to watching The View recently. I am really not very excited about the other hosts (Whoopi annoys me, Sherri is so-so, don't get me started on Elisabeth, and Barbara REALLY annoys me). And then there's Joy, who sits in the midst of it all, throwing in little pearls of wisdom whenever she can…but it's hard to get a word in edge-wise amongst that crew - especially Hasselbeck, who is my idea of a know-it-all…who doesn't. But that's a whole separate blog post. Today I'm writing about Joy.


Recently Joy got her own show on Headline News (owned by CNN). I was SO excited, I was going to get a WHOLE HOUR of JOY every weekday!


I tuned in on the very first night, and although I was disappointed, I thought, well, she'll get the hang of it…it's all new to her…she doesn't have her stride yet…but we should give her some time. Her scripted sections were very poorly read, her interviews were uneven, her monologue left much to be desired. But I love Joy, so I kept watching.


As of today, I've watched almost every show since it first began airing, and I am saddened by what it has become so far. I'm hoping it will get better, and they'll figure out what works and what doesn't, and that Joy will get more comfortable reading long segments from the teleprompter, and it will improve over time as the new format becomes more famiiar.


But the truth is, that the Joy Behar show is not at all like I had envisioned it was going to be in my mind before I'd ever seen it. I'm not sure what I thought it could be, but I was not expecting so many guests, and so many topics, many of which are not political. I myself, think that Joy has a brilliant political mind. I was expecting to hear way more of that than I'm getting. She is well informed, and can present her case in a calm and rational way. IMHO America could use more of her home-made wisdom in our homes each night.


I don't really care to see Joy reading other people's words, and interviewing OTHER people! I want to SEE JOY, and hear HER thoughts, not other people's ideas!


I've noticed that they've completed axed her monologue (ok, she hadn't yet gotten the hang of delivering it, but I didn't want it DELETED from the show for good! IMHO it had potential to become the best part of the show - Joy giving us HER TAKE on things). Like Bill Maher does with his monologue...but Joy's version.


But instead of giving her a chance to grow into it, it's been cut completely. I'm disappointed by that.


For me, I don't need Joy to have tons of guests. I'd be much happier if she had fewer guests, and fewer subjects being discussed (yet masturbation was the topic 2 nights in a row, whassup sista?). But seriously, I'd like way more time just hearing Joy give us her witty, clever, unique take on things, from current events to stories from her past, and everything else in between. I want MORE JOY on the Joy Behar show, please!!


...but don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna keep on watching.


The Joy Behar Show airs on HLN at 9 pm and Midnight EST.



No comments:

Post a Comment