Thursday, December 24, 2009

Have you ever peeked at your Xmas Gifts?


When I was about 12 years old, I found where my Mom had stashed the Christmas presents (on a shelf in the closet, duh), and something came over me and I peeked.

I only looked at one thing, but I was SO sorry that I did...for so many reasons. First off, there was just the sheer guilt of what I had done, and feeling like a horrible person for doing it!
And secondly, the sweater she had bought for me was absolutely hideous, and I could tell without even trying it on that I would look awful in it! And third, and most distressing, was that now I was going to have to fake liking it as WELL as fake being surprised, all at the same time!


I've done my share of acting, but that was one challenging performance! My clueless parents had no idea - they were already looped on scotch by then.

Hey ~ it was Christmas Morning, in the 1950s! For me, 'twas a lesson well-learned!

















* * * * * * *

On the other hand, I saw Mike Huckabee interviewed lately, for his new book, and he said that when he was a kid, every year, right before Christmas, he and his sister would open all their presents, play with them, and re-wrap them.





This went on for years, until they re-wrapped a football that had gotten muddy.




Oops. The jig was up then...He never mentioned feeling guilt about it, but um..I'm not so sure I would repeat that story quite so proudly, Mike!


But, now tell me the truth - have YOU ever peeked at your Xmas gifts (let me know in the survey, or comments!).

No comments:

Post a Comment