Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Cousin Kenny's Christmas Cuba Libre

We always had the family Christmas party at our house when I was a kid. My cousin Kenny, was a few years older than me, and the middle brother of three. It was 50 years ago, but I seem to recall that he was keen to be all grown up.

One year, when Kenny was maybe 13 or 14, he kept bugging my Dad to put some alcohol in his soda. Finally, since Kenny wouldn't stop bothering him about it, my Dad took him aside, handed him a soda and whispered in his ear, "Don't tell your Dad, I spiked it with Rum for you - your first 'Cuba Libre' - but keep it quiet."

I don't know how I found out, I think my Dad took me aside, cracking up, telling me that he TOLD Kenny that he had spiked his drink, but actually, he hadn't.

Sure enough, two hours later, Kenny was reeling around the living room, crashing into relatives, gifts and maybe even the Christmas Tree itself! He was LOOPED - or so he thought! I have this image to this day of him flailing around, with arms swinging everywhere! My Uncle Larry got FURIOUS with my Dad for giving Kenny alcohol! My Dad swore to Larry repeatedly that he hadn't given him any Rum at all!

Finally, it was all solved when my uncle smelled Kenny's breath and he was finally convinced.

My Dad's cheeks were probably hurting from grinning so much, he couldn't stop congratulating himself on his prank.

Kenny, on the other hand, was positively sheepish.


No comments:

Post a Comment