Sunday, March 21, 2010

Health Care Passed - Yippee or Oops?

Mandated Health Care may not be right for everyone, is my only fear. If poor people, or self-employed people, or Christian Scientists, or healthy people who can't or don't want to go in for even one doctor visit are now forced to buy health insurance, whether they want to or not, is that fair?

I mistakenly thought one would only be fined if one actually went into an emergency room and that was how and when they might found out about you not being insured, but I just learned today that it's all linked in to the IRS, and they're gonna be hiring tens of thousands of IRS workers to track down the poor people who couldn't afford to buy health insurance and smack 'em with the $2000 fine.

Does anyone else see the madness in this? I mean, maybe you are employed, and your employer takes care of your health insurance, and you've never had to think about it, but there are lots of people who are self-employed, or free-lance, or work in a number of ways that don't fit into the tidy little box, that may have some difficulties with the scope of this new law.

I know there are other great strides in this bill, that should make us happy...when they finally kick in, round 'bout 2014, but it looks like the taxing starts now, and the lion's share of the benefits won't actually hit for a few more years - long after the Democrats have had to engage in the 2010 and 2012 elections.

I also know that for Obama's sake this bill had to pass, and I'm glad for that...but there was a good deal of wheeling and dealing that went on, that left both Democrats and Republicans in a less than favorable light, and all in all, it wasn't pretty to watch the process of our elected politicians trying to beat this bill into law.

Seems like the greatest beneficiaries of the bill will be the Health Insurance and Pharmaceutical companies, but I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out, and where the dust settles.

But I must say, I'm a little wary of turning on tomorrow's news & seeing what the Republicans will pull next.

I usually try to be an optimist, but I am concerned, on a number of levels, as to where this all is heading...


No comments:

Post a Comment